The snow trail of Himachal Pradesh



VIEWPOINT
AMITABH SHUKLA    


In winters when the people in the plains are shivering due to cold wave, foggy conditions and Sun refusing to come out, I have one simple advice for them— head for the hills. I have a suggestion; take the snow trail of Himachal Pradesh, not far off from the State Capital Shimla.

There could be several other exciting options but for me, hills give what I need— thrill, adventure, a feeling that I can relate to the lofty peaks and above all a sense of belongingness which nothing else can give.

This is what I did to take a short New Year break, drive besides snow clad mountains and also to figure out how off-beat travel rejuvenates the body and the mind. You don’t really have to be adventurous to try this as the weather up in the hills is not only sunny but also relatively warm in the day. Of course, the evenings there are colder than say Chandigarh or Delhi but then, switch on the efficient room heaters, sit on the sofa with whatever you drink— nimbu paani, Brandy, Rum with warm water, plain warm water or nothing at all and you will start feeling warm. Think about the snow all around you, how people of the region enjoy this and how beautiful nature is.
The colors of nature 

I started from Chandigarh on a foggy morning when the visibility was down to around 50 meters. Knowing the hills well by now, I was sure that the visibility would get better and only better. On the Himalayan expressway, fog was there and so were huge trucks, meant to intimidate you. Don’t get intimidated by their size and driving skills of the drivers.

Make your way up slowly and steadily on the beautiful drive from the Pijnore crossing to Parwanoo. The well-crafted road looks like a poet’s dream. Carved out of fragile mountains on the Shivalik foothills, I am sure if you spend an hour here just gazing out, poetry would automatically flow from the pen.
Snowed forest

Just after timber trail, the landmark where the four-lane expressway gives way to a two-lane National Highway 22, known at one time as the Hindustan-Tibet Road, the weather turned bright. The Sun which was embarrassed to come out in Chandigarh due to fog which was there in all its pristine beauty. And believe me, the feeling of Sun on your body is wonderful in the winters and nothing can beat this.

There is a symbiotic relationship between fog and depression. Several studies have linked depression in winters on fog and lack of sunshine. I realised it again, the moment I drove past Parwanoo and reached Dharampur, the small town, bustling with activity and traffic. My depression was gone by now and in the distant, I got a preview of the visual pleasure in store— this was snow-peaked mountains. I celebrated the occasion by having a cup of steaming hot tea at Giani da dhaba, the popular eatery run by a Sikh family for years. It is normally full and one has to wait for a table but in the morning, it wasn’t difficult to find one.
The snowed road to Hatu Peak
 

Kumarhatti, Solan, Kanda Ghat, Shoghi…I was now in the outskirts of Shimla in three and a half hours. Shimla was never in my mind as I been to this place umpteen times and there was no point now when the idea was to live besides snow for a short while. On a Friday afternoon, driving past Shimla was relatively a breeze, bustling as it is all the time with tourists, taxis and of course the locals on their routine.

Past the Police Headquarters and the Himachal Government Secretariat, you are on the beautiful drive to Kufri. Reserve forest areas, greenery all around and more snow peaked mountains add to the driving pleasure.

A walk in snow 
Now you can see a smattering of snow on both sides of the road. Winter Special of Himachal Pradesh was here. The snow trail of Himachal Pradesh started soon after the run of the mill tourist tamasha at Kufri— Yak rides, amusement park, taking pictures on snow and inebriated youths dancing to the tunes of Punjabi music, blaring from their cars.

A thick layer of snow greeted us on the side of the mountains this moment in Kufri and beyond it. Some of the snow was melting but the entire side of the hill was white, covered as it was with snow. I have been to this area earlier also but this was unbelievable. The white carpet of snow was having a magical impact on me.

Driving had become slightly difficult as there were still a few centimetres of hardened snow on the road despite being cleared by the PWD. On both sides of the road, the cleared snow was 1-2 metres in height and as the hillock was not Sun facing, it would remain there for a while.

Soon I reached, Himachal Tourism’s Hotel Apple Blossom in Fagu, 4 kms from Kufri. The driveway to the Hotel, around 60 metres, was all white due to snow but pressing the accelerator firmly I find myself in the parking of the hotel, surrounded with snow from all sides. I prefer Government owned hotels as they always have plenty of space and parking and the staff too is trained and courteous.
The landscape

Finding a room overlooking the snowed mountain slopes was easy. What added to the delight was a 25 per cent off-season discount by HPTDC. The spacious concrete lawn of the hotel was full of snow and so was the slope on which it was perched. You couldn’t have asked for more. This was the snow trail in true sense.

Next day, it was time to move ahead to Narkanda, the apple belt of Himachal Pradesh where I had last visited in the apple season four months ago. You find all the slopes painted white by nature the moment you move ahead of Fagu towards Theog. The town is small and busy and nothing remarkable about it but the moment you move ahead, nature is there in all its pristine beauty. Now you can see the apple trees on the slopes where it has snowed earlier.

Locals say that the more snow you have on the roots of the apple tree, the yield would be better and the fruit would be more crunchy and juicy. In the distance, you can see bright Sun shining on the snow peaks. At several places, I get down just to absorb what I was looking at into myself like a sponge absorbs water.
An apple orchard 

Less than two hours from Fagu and driving past a landscape which I had never seen earlier,  I find myself at The Hatu, another Government owned hotel at Narkanda, perched atop a hillock, overlooking a beautiful valley. It was sunny and despite snow all around, there was no chill in the air. There was snow on the mountain slopes, rising from the valley below, in the distant and even in the backyard of the hotel and on its roof. Snow, snow and snow…This is what I found there.

Trek in the snow, play with snow, acres of snow for skiing…It was a visual delight. Trying to absorb all this was an exercise in itself. The only promise which I made to myself was simple— I will take to this snow trail every winter. (January 12, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment