Of Trials and Tribulations





Amitabh Shukla | in Oped


A personal experience of the Modi regime’s excellent public grievance redressal system


As the Narendra Modi Government completed two years in office and is now approaching its mid- term, it will be fair to analyse its omissions and commissions as is being done extensively. While some will hail the BJP’s achievements as ‘unprecedented’, others will try to downplay what the Government has done in the past two years. They may even target it for various reasons.

Here, the discussion is limited to only one micro scheme of the Government which shows how the penetration of information technology has changed the grievance redressal system in our country. I’m talking about the public grievance portal of the Union Government — the Centralised Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS). Some of the cases can be hailed as ‘revolutionary’. My personal experience with the system too reinforced my belief that indeed, Government departments work and they work very fast. I have two experiences to share and both are related to the postal department.

In the first instance, my father, who left for his heavenly abode two and a half years ago, left a very old post office savings bank account in his files. When I sent someone on Friday to Bettiah, a small district headquarter in north Bihar, to the Naya Bazar post office at the end of 2013, they came out with a plea that there was no nominee in the account and that one has to go through a lengthy process to claim the amount. Though the amount was only Rs35,000, there was a sentimental value attached to it as it belonged to my doctor father.

Then, in December 2015, at my home address in Bettiah, my mother got a registered post saying that the account of my father had been transferred from Hazaribagh and it indeed had a nominee — my mother. The letter said that they would enquire it from Hazaribagh and get the original nominee form there. We thought that the ordeal was over and soon my mother would get the cheque. However, that was not to be. After the last post, the postal department simply forgot to follow it up. The post master would continue to feign ignorance and refuse to process the matter. I felt it's better to forego the amount instead of putting someone to so much harassment and make him run from pillar to post for this.

It was then that someone told me about the public grievances portal — pgportal.gov.in — and how it is meant exactly for cases like this. I opened it one fine morning and gave the account details in the complaint section and wrote a brief description about the problem and the harassment I went through. It took me all of five minutes to seven minutes to lodge a complaint with my e-mail ID and mobile number given. Soon after lodging the complaint, I got a docket number which was to be used for future reference.

I logged into the portal again using the number sent to my mobile phone and e-mail after two hours. It had the details and said that the complaint is lying with the public grievance officer of the postal department, with an office at Parliament Street, New Delhi. Next day, in the morning, when I again opened the portal to see the status of the complaint, it had been sent to the public grievance officer at Patna General Post Office. In the next three hours, the complaint had reached the Superintendent of the West Champaran postal circle in whose jurisdiction the account existed. It was actually so fast.

In the evening, I got a call from the Superintendent of Posts that the matter has been processed and my mother is welcome to visit the post office the next day for signature and collecting the cheque which now totaled to Rs39, 480 after adding the interest. I was elated, the system had actually worked. The cheque was collected by my mother the next day. For the first time, I saw how this system cut through all sorts of hierarchies, paper work and obstacles put up by the babus and delivered to the common man who had hitherto been condemned to grease the palms of these very babus and treat them as sahibs all these years.

The second matter also pertained to the postal department. This time, it was the National Savings Certificate (NSC) of my father. The NSC matured at the end of March and I was the nominee in these papers. The agent, through whom my father used to invest in small savings scheme of the post office, got the paperwork done like depositing the death certificate and forms relating to the claim. He assured me that my presence was not required to claim the money. But when I was in Bettiah during the summer vacation, I signed the papers and got it deposited in the Lal Bazar post office from where the NSC was purchased.

But the post master of Lal Bazar post office would have none of it. He simply sat on the papers and did nothing. When I enquired from the agent, he said that the post master was playing truant. It was then that I rang up the Superintendent of the West Champaran Postal Circle, Manoj Sharma, who had processed the first case and who had talked to me regarding it a few days back. He talked to the Lal Bazar post master and asked me to send a scanned copy of my signature. I did that. But this post master was taught in the old school of bureaucracy and kept dilly dallying the payment to me. He consistently claimed that his office did not have the original NSC papers even though I had personally deposited it there. I had enough of it. Lodging a complaint with the public grievances portal was a click away. This time, in three days flat, the cheque was given to my representative in Bettiah.

CPGRAMS is the new hope for redressal of any grievance-related either to the Central or the State Government. While grievances related to departments of Central Government are handled quite efficiently, those pertaining to the States are passed on to the respective State Governments. An officer of the Indian Revenue Service said, “The monitoring of the system is done at the highest level and no laxity on the part of the officials tolerated. It is a new terror amongst the lazy officials of the Government”.

As monitoring is done at various levels, there is an unusual hurry on the part of the officials to dispose the complaints as everyone would now know at which end the problem exists. That to me is indeed a revelation and my personal experience with the CPGRAMS has been a pleasant exercise. (July 1, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment